Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Way Too Strong Smelling Sensory Bags


I've wanted to make these gushy bags for a long time.  Yesterday I made myself swing by the Dollar Tree on the way home and buy the "ingredients."


 Quart-size bags.
 Slip in a thin foam shape cut from the school's Ellison (die cut) machine.
Measure a few scoops of (gag) lavender air freshener beads and plop them in the bag.  Saw some very interesting grasps used for scooping today--this was one of the better grasps I observed among my students.
Really cool (AKA gross) sounds emitted by the hair gel bottle.  We measured several tablespoonfuls to add to the bag.  The light blue gel looked very attractive but you can use clear gel with food coloring.
This was one of the not-so-"mature" grasps of the bunch.  However, the student could independently use a more age-appropriate grasp on his own.
 Just a few more smelly air freshener beads.  My nose was watering at this point.
No duct tape available so we used cheap Contact paper.  The students figured out how wide to cut the strips to fit the bag exactly.
 And attach the paper to both sides of the bag.
 Be sure to write your name on the bag.
We made several green and red apple bags.  We also used stocking shapes to go with today's theme in the class for students with intellectual disabilities.

I'm going to look for non-smelly beads, or the marble-size ones you reconstitute with water.  My eyes are watering from working with the "air freshener" ones today!

No comments: