Thursday, August 16, 2012

Back to Work

Oh man, what a fun summer break this has been.  Daytrips with girlfriends and my family, going to lunch/brunch with friends, exploring vineyards and breweries with buddies and family.  It was probably the most fun summer I've ever had in recent memory.

Even worked outside, pickaxing the dried-up ground around the perennials, transplanting poorly growing flowers to new spots in the yard.  The dogs got more attention, walking and grooming, and the cats got held and petted much more often.  It was glorious. 

I learned to not be afraid of the 100+ degree days here in Virginia.  Keep following the shade and wear a big hat.  If you have to go to the store park far away in the shade at the edges of the parking lots.

Write lots of letters and postcards to friends, they love it and sometimes even write you back.  Give stuff away.  Think about what I can do better at school next year.  Vow to not let technology take first place in the list of priorities.

Hope everyone has a good school year--2012-2013.  We start back next Tuesday.  Eeek!

1 comment:

Kellie said...

I am an OT in the public schools in Austin, Texas! We start back on Monday! Yikes! Ha! Good luck to you!

I would love to share some excellent resources that I will be using as I start the school year. First, I want to share The Zones of Regulation, a curriculum for self-regulation and self-control, by Leah Kuypers, M. A. Ed., OTR/L. It is an EXCELLENT resource and one that I used last year in collaboration with several teachers. This year I will be working in collaboration with one of our elementary counselors to use the terminology from this book school-wide. You can find out more about this book by going to www.socialthinking.com (which is another EXCELLENT resource for OTs, parents, teachers, etc.). Another program that I love and have used for the past 10 years is the Alert Program (also known as the How Does Your Engine Run Program for Self-Regulation). Check it out!

Cheers!

Kellie