Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Make a Keychain with a Secret Code

Do you work with smart students who can't recall their locker combinations?  It's very difficult to stay calm and try to figure out your combination when you've only got a few minutes between classes and you're hemmed in by many other students who are diving into the crowd to get to their lockers.  One of our OTs developed this system for helping students remember their combinations.  She uses small "pony" beads to make a keychain; I used larger beads for the sample in the photo.

Starting with the left side of this keychain, look at the sequence of beads.  The blue beads are spacers.  The yellow and red beads represent the sequence.  The three numbers in the locker combination are 13--21--32, can you see it?

I don't know about you but the hardest part of figuring out my school locker, way back when, was remembering which direction to turn the dial.  I know it's usually left, right, left but it was pretty tricky.  My only recommendation for this is practice, practice, practice.

Thanks to Kathryn Mason for this idea.

1 comment:

Tonya said...

What a good idea. I will use that when I have a student who needs it.